Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Weekly News

I just realized it had been a week since I showed my face here! Okay, things have been busy. I’ve been riding the bus which eats up two extra hours a day. Hubby and son were gone and are now home from Boy Scout camp in Wisconsin. Heather bought her first horse, a 3-month old filly named Clementine (a/k/a Zippy Texas Missy). They are so cute together! Clementine will stay at Kim’s pasture with her mama for awhile. She’s not weaned yet and it’s good for her to be with the rest of the herd to learn manners.

I sold my featherweight sewing machine to Nancy so have the money for the down payment on Chase, one of Kim’s geldings. Then I noticed on the new school website yesterday that the kids start back to school August 13th! Holy Cow! That seems really early! So we have to hurry and get the lake house livable and get moved in time for school. Two weeks from yesterday!! That means my horse down payment has to go to trench in the water so we can actually live in the lake house. We were short (read BROKE) this month because Wally doesn’t get paid if he doesn’t work. Ouch. Next month I’ll be able to get my money out of our account for my horse down payment. Having a place to live with running water is more important. Maybe. No running water means no dish washing or doing laundry…hmm, thinking.

This weekend is the big Community Days event at Linn Valley. I volunteered to work. Since I’m a full-fledged member of the community now, it is important to do my part to make it the kind of place I want to live. All the work shouldn’t be done by the same people all the time or eventually they burn out and no one gets to have fun. I think I’m working at the BBQ for lunch, then I’m selling raffle tickets for awhile and after that, judging the hot dog eating contest. I only hope the hot dog eaters are not hot dog pukers because I didn’t sign up for hazard duty!

Sunday we will go to Rodeo Kids in Independence. We had a great time there last Sunday, watching all the kids go through their riding drills. We’re going early this week so we can trim some low hanging tree branches above the bleachers and in the parking area. I’m taking a big Igloo drink cooler of ½ strength Gatorade and ice, and a great big jar of dill pickles. Those are good for replenishing the salt lost sweating in this Midwest summer heat. I may do hot dogs in the crock pot so we can all eat after lessons are done. Hopefully someone else will bring chips and cookies. The kids are all so cute riding. Heather wants to ride the drills this week so I hope Kim has a horse she can ride. I think Tank would be just her speed if he goes!

No comments: